Thursday, May 26, 2011

R.A.F.T. Part 1

In my training we learned the acronym RAFT- to be used in times of change and transition as a tool for leaving and entering well. This stands for:

R is for Reconciliation.

A is for Affirmation

F is for Farewell

T is for Think Destination.

I will be using these with my students over the next few weeks as they transition from school time to summer. Also we have 2 families leaving Mali and this will allow their children to leave BCA well.

But this is not just for students- I am going through a time of transition as well when I head to Oregon for the summer. It IS going to be a change, especially since I have rooted myself in Mali over the past year. So join the next few blogs as I build my own R.A.F.T.!

Think Destination

It is exciting for me to think of going home, but I am also anxious- there are many changes that have taken place and I need to be mentally and emotionally prepared for them.

That being said here are my top five things I am looking forward to most during my visit to the USA-

1. Seeing family and friends. I have missed you all the past year and look forward to fun chats and good times.

2. Foods! I eat well in Mali, don’t get me wrong! But Bagels, cream cheese (for less than $7), fancy coffee, QDOBA and convenient fast foods… YUM!

3. My car. I look forward to the freedom of jumping in my car and taking a drive. In Bamako I rely on public transportation and friends and I miss the freedom!

4. A summer job! I will be working part time with Wilderness International as an assistant team leader for conservation teams. This is a ministry focused on providing job opportunities for at-risk youth. So, I will be going from missionary kids, to at-risk youth, back to missionary kids. FUN Smile

5. Cooler weather. The heat of the Oregon summer will be comparable to cold season here in Mali- Bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Sara God bless you and us!! I love this RAFT thing because i'm in this time too, so anxious..
    So I will pray for your time ok?
    Enjoy it's will be a new time for you, and for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all look forward to seeing you too!! :D

    ReplyDelete