Wednesday, May 15, 2013

May in Pre-kinder

For our last unit of the year, we focus on a healthy life. We talk about nutrition and hygiene.

I decided to use “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” as the basis of our talks on food and healthy eating. Through this book we review the life cycle of a butterfly, learned the names of fruits, practiced our counting and most of all talked about what foods helped the caterpillar versus what made him sick. We spent over 2 weeks on this book and by the end almost every one of my students had it memorized! As a final activity, we made fruit kebobs with the fruits from the story. Each student helped cut the fruit, then assembled their own skewer for a snack. With lots of sharp points, it was well supervised :)

 100_1604 100_1605 100_1606

 100_1609  100_1612 100_1614

100_1620 100_1621

Each week I have words we focus on through our lessons. I make “flash cards” to have in the front of the classroom. Since my students don’t know how to read yet, it is a good introduction to what words look like and a great reminder for me to use them over and over.

100_1526One sunny afternoon I decided to let the students play outside instead of having free time inside. At one point I turn around and see my ENTIRE class (well, those that weren’t in time out) on one slide, laughing and having a good time. I ran and grabbed my camera to capture this sweet moment.

100_1545

May also means mother’s day, so each of my students made a special card to give to their mom. They were able to practice writing, and drawing meaningful pictures.

 100_1548 100_1553 100_1554 100_1557

I am sad to only have 11 more days with these sweet munchkins, but am so proud to see how much growth has happened in such a short time- in their friendships, ability to speak/understand English, and most of all in their little heart’s love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment