Sunday, January 2, 2011

Focus


I sent part of this out in my most recent prayer letter, but I thought I would elaborate a little and share what God is doing in me.
I work with third and fourth graders- I understand what an inability to focus means. As an adult however, I am just as guilty of becoming distracted from what really matters in life. I become trapped thinking about my needs, my emotions, my wants and my frustrations. Basically- the focus is on me.
I have been reading through the Psalms and stumbled across Psalm 63. It is a declaration to God to be the only satisfaction in the writers life. I was convicted and reminded that God alone is my source of hope, energy and strength. In those times when I am frustrated, unhappy, grumpy or exhausted- it is because my carnal desire to focus on me is on full blast. I lose focus.  
This became apparent the last few weeks of school before break. It was a rough time– not only did I have a cold, but there was tension at the school and I was caught in the middle. By the time Christmas rolled around I was burned out, grumpy and exhausted. Some of the reasons were legit- physical illness does lead to exhaustion- but some reasons were from my selfishness.
I love how God knows what I need. He is good and has given me the rest I have been craving. Naps, down time, and His word have restored me little by little. I have been reminded just HOW important time in the word is and WHO is my strength. Rather than allowing my needs to drive me, I need to focus on Christ alone. With that, I am excited to start class again and know WHO MY teacher is.

No comments:

Post a Comment