Saturday, October 8, 2011

Rest

About once a week I hit the wall. If you think of that literally, it would be more like once a day because of my clumsiness, but this time I mean the “AH- I cant do anything” type of hit the wall. It usually comes in the form of being tired, grumpy and loss of patience. As a teacher- this is not a good thing!

Yesterday was one of those days. Friday at school are half days, with the afternoon being spent for prep time and big-picture planning. Usually with a quick lunch and pick-me-up Coca Cola, I am good to go, however yesterday I was done. D.O.N.E. done. Thankfully, I had enough steam to finish the minimum amount of work before Ed and I headed home. I walked into the house- grabbed some bread and jam for a snack- then fell into bed. About 40 minutes later Ed hollered at me that he made lunch (I am a lucky woman!) and I mustered enough energy to get out of bed and eat sweet & sour meatballs and rice (see, I really am lucky!!!) then crawled back to bed. A two hour nap later, I was pretty much back to normal.

Sometimes the “wall” days concern me. Am I sick? It must be that I am lazy? Or maybe it’s just Mali heat mixed with hyper kids on a Friday. Anyway, it happens.

I am reminded that although I like to think of myself as invincible, God didn’t create me perfect (gasp). No, really, he created me to crave him. I cant do things on my own. I cant go without stopping. Its because I have to REST. To stop. To breath. To focus. To focus on my God and my creator. God calls to himself those who are weary and He will give them rest. The forever kind of rest.

I am lucky. Not only do I have a husband who cooks- but ultimately I have a God who loves me, and wants nothing more from me than to worship HIM. He wants me to feel rested. Sometimes he gives me that rest in the form of good food and a nap. Where sometimes that rest is in the peace he gives me when I sit with Him. Listen to Him. Worship Him.

Ah, rest. hmmm….

No comments:

Post a Comment