Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Thoughts on the coup

coup

Ed made the above picture as a little humor in the midst of uncertainty.

First off, I want to say we are safe, content and still waiting to see what happens.

Today I came across this verse in the Bible:

They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers Acts 1:14

Since it’s not in context, let me fill you in. This is from the first chapter of Acts- right after Jesus descended into heaven and before Pentecost. They had just selected a 12th disciple to replace Judas. It was a time of complete uncertainty. For most of the followers at that time they had set aside everything and followed Jesus for 3 years. They heard his teachings, ate with him, followed him where ever he went. Some of them knew he was God and all of them knew he was special. Then, he was taken away from them- violently! I am sure most of the followers at that time were in shock confusion and definitely not sure what to think. Jesus them came back for a short time, then disappeared. I can only imagine the confusion, dismay, and anger. This person they put their trust in was no longer there. What were they to do?

Well they gathered together and prayed. They knew that God was still at work- but not how. They knew Jesus was who he said he was- just not how that made a difference. Worldviews were shaken and lifestyles questioned- was it really worth following Jesus if he was just going to abandon them?

I think for the first time in a while, I understand this type of anxiety. Mali was considered a stable country. I knew traveling here there would be a moderate sense of danger- but no more than other countries I have visited. I knew there was a democratic system of government where one person could not try to control the nation. I had faith that Mali was a good place to live.

A week ago, that all changed. No longer is Mali ruled by a president, but a military leader who took control. Mali is no longer politically stable, but a group of people supposedly formed a new constitution in less than a week. No longer is Mali looked at as a place in need of foreign aide, rather people do not trust it. Everything I thought I lived in has been shaken.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. For the disciples, Pentecost came and no longer did they need God in human form, rather the Holy Spirit can live in each of us. God gave the disciples what they needed as well as what He had planned.

For us living in Mali- there will be an end. We pray it is peaceful, but we prepare for violence. God has this country worked into His plans and although we are living in very uncertain and confusing time, I know that God is right here with me and in control. I pray for peace like I never have before. Innocent people are at risk of dying- either from violence or starvation- and that shouldn’t happen. This situation can go in many directions- good thing God has got it all worked out!

1 comment:

  1. wow, i keep praying for you guys. i do think god is so good to put his people in places for such times as these, but i know how difficult it can be. praying for you to feel his presence like never before, and for your families as well! ps. i love the picture, ed.

    ReplyDelete