Friday, January 6, 2012

My kids are funny!

DSC_0136

Humorous highlights from the week:

1. I teach a weekly session of health to all the elementary students and this week the 4-6th graders were learning about resisting peer pressure to do drugs and alcohol. At the end of the lessons I divided the students into pairs and had them role play refusal skills- with one child offering beer and the other saying “no”. After a few minutes of practice, I had them perform for the class.

The last group went something like this…

Boy- You want some beer

Girl- No thank you.

Boy- Are you sure?

Girl- No, I don’t want it

Boy- But it gives you a moustache! (at that point he places a ruler on his upper lip and tries to talk in an Italian accent)

I about fell off my chair laughing from such a random statement. Not only was it an African kid trying to talk with an Italia accent, but moustaches are not really desirable on females!

2. Since I brought it up to the older elementary students, beer and cigarettes have been a hot topic of conversation. One morning this week I walk into class to find several of my students with paper cigarettes. One even asked me to make them one…. I declined saying something along the lines of “cigarettes are disgusting” “I dont want to see them again in the classroom” and “do you really think this is a good idea?”

The response to that was “oh, well the fifth and sixth graders have started a business”.

YIKES! Didn’t expect this to be such a hit. It seemed to be a one-day only business however and haven’t seen them for a few days now. If only contractions were that catchy!

3. In my classroom we keep track of how many days of school we have been in session by writing it on post-it notes and sticking them to a long strip of paper. Last night one of the strips fell down and landed on some of the desks. In the middle of writing today I look up and one of my students is playing with the paper so I ask her what she is doing. She responds by sticking it to her chin and saying “Well, I am father time. You see, it’s how much time we have been in school”.

How are my kids so clever? By the way- today is day 70!

No comments:

Post a Comment