Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Challenge

Every Tuesday we have staff devotions as a way of strengthening our community. This morning something new struck me (which is always exciting when I’m half awake). The devotional was on seeking God’s heart, not just his hands.

Esther was the example given. When she went before the king, she didn’t just want to save her people, but wanted to know the king as well. She had his respect, and he listened to her. Several times before making her request she hosted banquets in his honor. Had she just gone to the king without establishing intimacy, she would have most likely been killed immediately.

How often do we skip the intimacy with God in order to get what we want from Him? We come to God with the list of problems “to lay before him” yet don’t stop to worship Him for who He is.

We were challenged this morning to go to the secret place and intimately know God. Leave our problems at the door, shut the windows to distractions and know our God. Matthew 6:6 says “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” Don’t allow the outside world and the stresses be a distraction between you and God.

For a while now, I have been focusing on the descriptions of God. If I am honest with myself, however, it’s been more for the habit of reading something rather than a way of intimately knowing God more.

I remember learning a while ago about the practice of meditation as a way of knowing God more. I used to think that meditation was an Eastern philosophy of emptying the mind. However, it was pointed out to me that in the Bible meditation is mentioned several times- and not as an emptying of the mind rather a focusing on one specific attribute in worship.

Here’s my challenge: (for myself and anyone else who would like to join me). For the next 2 weeks I am going to intentionally meditate on the descriptions of God as way of learning more about Him and growing in my relationship with Him. I know it seems a little strange to post this for the world to see, especially after the point of being secret, but I do it as an accountability to myself.

Who knows what I will learn and how I will grow- but that is the beauty of it. I may or may not post some thoughts as I go through this process (posting seems to deplete the “secrecy” of it, however, I think through writing… so we shall see).

Also, if you want to join along the link above goes to a month-long reading plan through youversion. Enjoy and please let me know if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment