Thursday, July 17, 2014

Summer update 2014

It amazes me that our time in the States is drawing to a close. We have been so blessed to share at churches, meet up with friends and family and enjoy the great beauty of the State of Oregon.

It is also overwhelming. Oregon is no longer our home. While here we live out of suit cases and our car constantly looks like we are moving. We gorge on delicious food, and yet still have to make sure to eat our vegetables. We have conversations with people but leave with a lingering "hope to see you next time we're around". Its a strange unsettled pace of life.

I ran across a blog post about 2 weeks ago that sums up the challenges living the missionary life. Here's a link. You can read it or not. Personally I have felt all of the points at one time or another. Communication with supporters is hard, but also a great way to constantly tell to the stories of God working. Asking for support is awkward, but a tangible way of seeing God work and provide. Loneliness is true and comes and goes in season.

That part though that hit me was:

7. “GOING HOME” IS A LOT OF WORK.
WHAT THEY SAY
It’s great to be back home.
WHAT THEY WANT TO SAY
Please understand, I now have two homes. When I’m at one, I’m away from the other, and there is a lot of emotion involved in that. On top of that, my life is absolutely crazy when I go “home.” I have to see relatives and friends, visit with partner churches, and take care of any number of issues that have arisen with my health, my electronic devices, and my government paperwork. Whether it’s a few weeks or a few months, I spend my time living out of suitcases and hustling from one appointment to the next. Is it good to be home? Sure. But when I get on that plane to go to my other home, I breathe a sigh of relief that life is almost back to “normal.”

My, oh, my- I know!

So, friends- our summer update is this: we love seeing you! We love that we live in a day and age where going "home" for just a month is possible. We love catching up on your life and seeing God work. We love visiting churches and worshiping in English. We are blessed. We are happy. AND we need grace extended upon us as it wears at our bodies and our minds. Understand it is good, but it is hard.

I will leave you with this: I am convinced Oregon is one of the most naturally beautiful places in the world. Not sure you believe me... check these out! (plus be ready for a full blog post upon our return to Bogota)



No comments:

Post a Comment