Saturday, June 21, 2014

World Cup!

4 years ago I had just finished college and was on my way to Mali. I remember hearing "world cup" thrown around and I even realized some countries I had visited qualified and were play. Little did I know, 4 years later, I would be surrounded by world cup fever and celebrating along!

One of the joys of living overseas and working in an international context, is my view of the world is so much bigger than it used to be. As I watch parts of games and check in on scores, I realize with well over half the countries I have a personal connection. I know students from Ghana. I lived in Uruguay and have driven past the stadium where the first world cup was held. I felt bitter sweet when Spain wasn't going to the next round because of my many memories there. It's not just a list of countries to me- it's faces, places, and an international community in peaceful celebration.

That being said- I am rooting for Colombia!

Colombia has gone crazy celebrating the World Cup. For the first time in 16 years, Colombia qualified to play in this world-wide sporting event and it has been so fun being in the country as they play. It is hard to describe just how much these games affect daily life here- for example on Tuesday during the game against Ivory Coast I took a bus home and was the ONLY person the bus. The street were deserted as everyone was in their home or at their work watching the game. With every point that was scored, cheers, horns and very loud celebration erupted through out the city. I wasn't even able to watch the game and yet I felt so a part of the joy and fun!

After they won- it was madness outside. I snuck out with my camera and snapped a few shots:

After the win- everyone ran onto the street screaming, blowing horns, and just being excited!


Even taxi decorations now have Colombian flags.
CELEBRATION!

This clip is just a little taste of what the city is like after a game. And we are on the outskirts- I can only imagine down town!



No comments:

Post a Comment