Monday, November 7, 2011

Prayer for my neighbors

This weekend was the holiday Tabaski where our muslim neighbors celebrate Abraham being willing to sacrifice his son Ishmeal. As part of the celebration each family saves up to buy a ram- or families combine if they have to- and have a big feast. Check out Tabaski 2010 for pictures (beware, a little gross).

This year I was sick at home with a cold- so instead of venturing the streets, I laid on the couch. As I sat, part of my heart was saddened. Everyone outside is celebrating a "God victory" yet they do not know the ultimate victory. The ultimate sacrifice. God allowed his son to be killed on the cross.

Here is my prayer for my Muslim neighbors.

Father.

You are mighty. You are good. You love us.

My neighbors know of you. My neighbors pray to you. But my neighbors do not know you.

On this day as they remember the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son, may they know it did not finish there. You had bigger plans ahead. 

May they seek to know your son Jesus. May they accept his sacrifice for their sins. May they find freedom and redemption in His name alone.

You are working in this place.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment