Monday, November 28, 2011

Advent Day 4

In my classroom we are celebrating advent by making Christmas tree ornaments representing the names of Christ. We make a new one each day and put it on our tree!

Today we made the Lion of Judah (Rev. 5:5)

Mark 9:33-37

This is the passage where Jesus reprimands his disciples for arguing over who is the best. He then takes a little child into his arms and say " Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me"  (v. 37)

I thought this was a random passage for a Christmas advent- but the more I ponder the more I think "yes, this fits". Advent is a time of welcoming Christ into the world. How perfectly fitting.

As a teacher, I am working with children all the time. Some days I welcome them- their stories, their excitment (man, mention Christmas and they cant stop talking) and their joy. Other days- however- welcoming them is not so easy. They are grumpy, I am grumpy, they complain, I complain... you get the picture.

Jesus tells us and modeled for us- living is not about us. We are to serve. On earth we have the privilege of serving one another- and untimely God. When we start focusing on us- we are no serving.

I count myself lucky to be a teacher. I get to be with children every day and show them God's love. If I were to re-write this verse into the context of my world- I think it would say "Whoever welcomes one of their students into their classrooms, welcomes Christ. And whoever welcomes Christ does not welcome him, rather the one who sent Him." What a challenge! And a joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment