Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Learning from my mistakes

Three weeks ago my class learned a lesson. Or at least I learned a lesson and hopefully my students did as well.

Let’s start at the beginning. As I was planning this year, I wanted to set up a system that rewarded students for good behavior. I called this system “fish bucks”. The rules were simple:

Everyone in the class comes in from recess quickly they all get 1 fish buck. Do your homework? 1 fish buck. 100% on a spelling test- 1 fish buck. Save up enough fish bucks, spend them on a prize. Viola!

The fish bucks are pieces of paper with a photocopied fish clip art on it. Nothing too special, just a system to reward behavior and spoil the children just a little. In theory this was a decent idea. I made the rules simple for me to keep up with, and the prizes weren’t not too valuable.

What I didn’t expect to happen was the value of fish bucks became huge among the elementary students. Children started trading fish bucks with each other (give me your swing, I’ll give you 10 fish bucks) and they started being stolen. At first, I noticed the stealing (strange how one student was able to get a prize every day) but in the beginning no one reported their fish bucks being stolen so I didn’t investigate too deep. (my first mistake).

During the month of January, things started to get crazy. Students were having fish bucks stolen every day, other classes were trading toys and rides on the swing for fish buck. It was out of control!

I decided to finally take action, and gave the thief an opportunity to return the stolen goods. When that didnt happen- in fact more were stolen, I knew it was time to call it quits! The kids were sad, but I explained that it wasn’t good that they were stealing from each other and it needed to stop. Most seemed to understand.

Looking back on this, I learned 2 lessons.

1. External motivation may give me the behavior I want, but may not actually teach the students. I wanted the students to do their homework, but they do it (or dont do it) whether or not they get a fish buck. In a classroom there are ways of using external motivation- but it must be done with extreme caution so as not to become a burden on me as the teacher or the students. I still am not sure what a better idea is, so I am glad I have a while to mull it over before I start a new year.

2. Human nature is greedy. Even in a small school- the value of fish bucks was seen as desirable- enough to steal. The whole elementary department wanted fish bucks and even students not in my class sought them at any cost. Something I thought was as insignificant, became a problem and caused a lot of anger between students. I am glad it was something small that could be taken care of in the classroom.

I probably could have handled things differently. I could have tried to confront the thief. I could have had a better system of securing each students fish buck. But, I didn’t, and now the days of fish bucks are over. I am still gleaning all I can out of this to apply to future classes. However, I know I am not perfect and am apt to make more mistakes. As long as I take time to admit, process and ask forgiveness, God will still be able to use me.

1 comment: