Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 3... not 30

I have been in Mali for 3 days now, yet it has been so packed with school orientation, getting luggage, visiting people in their homes and trying to sleep, I feel like I have lived here 30 days! That being said, I am doing fantastic. I have decided to share a few random stories.

1- Tonight after dinner, my roomate Hilary and I walked to get ice cream.... from a gas station! No kidding, we walked up to what should be a gas pump and ordered some vanilla and strawberry soft serve! it was delicious!

2- This morning the guard at the school tried to teach me some bambara. But spoke so fast, i was completely lost and stuttered like a cool kid! Thankfully i had some other teachers write up the words so i can try!

3- School starts tomorrow bright and early (7:30) I have already met one of my students and had dinner with his family! I am excited to meet the rest of my students and start in the classroom routines!

4- In Mali I cant tell the difference between goats and sheep. Yesterday I was in a car and made a comment about the darn goat that was in the way (I was feeling my Polk Country Fair days come back to me). I was corrected to be told it was a sheep... but dont feel bad- they look exactly the same except for the ears. WHO KNEW?

Well, lots more has happened. My French is improving- as in I knew nothing and now can say 4 words. I do pick up a lot when I listen to conversations and feel good reading menus and such. I will be excited to start some official language study at some point- but right now my goal is to survive day one! Here is a picture from my classroom! I will try to post more eventually- it just takes forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment