Saturday, August 21, 2010

Its the weekend!

Saturday morning is here!

I have survived my first week of school and am still smiling! Teaching is hard- not just because you have to know what you are doing- but in my class of 5 students there are so many ability levels that I want to ensure each student is pushed to excel in their interests and strengths.

I have one student who speaks no English, which adds an extra level of challenge! I have had to find creative ways to explain what the assignment is and describe information. It took two days to figure out a French/English dictionary would be important! (doi!) but she is quick to learn and works really hard so I am excited to see her grow and progress.

(Random side note: My room mate has a phycho cat that is currently meowing from the outside window! Its outside mostly, but when it is inside it tends to nuzzle my feet and lick them... weird!)

A few tidbits of life in Bamako-

*poverty is everywhere- yet it doesnt always appear so. Unlike big citites I have lived in before, all economic classes of people live together. My apartments would be upper middle class, they are across the street from tin shacks, next to mud house, but down the road is a mansion. There is no real "dodgy" area of town-it is all mixed in.

*People live in the streets. One person described to me that the house is the bedroom and the street is the kitchen and living room. Everything happens outside- cooking, washing clothes, bathing, watching TV, visiting etc. At night people go inside and sleep- but besides that most activity happens out doors.

*That being said- Bamako is extremely safe. I have walked around alone at 10pm- most people will say hi or smile at you, then let you be on your way.

*Its Ramadan- For Muslims it is the time of year where they fast for 40 days- eating only after dark. I dont yet know what that means to the life in Bamako, because I have not yet seen non-Ramadan life. Some things I do notice is the lack of people around in the morning on our walk to school, around 5pm taxi drivers get really grumpy, and the call to prepare food is heard at odd hours of the night (I think its the 4am call). Remember to be praying for the Muslims in this time and the believers who are reaching out with the love of Christ.

Some things to be praying for:
-Good rest! This coming week is a full week of teaching!
-Healthy connections with each of my students as well as their families.
-General health as I am adjusting to a warmer climate and different foods. So far I have not gotten sick! Praise the Lord!
-Time to reflect and meditate on the Word. Life is busy and packed, especially as I am trying to learn and adjust quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for all the DR connections, but well, that is what I think about a lot...Bamako sounds very similar to what I experienced with Poverty in the DR. Shacks next to mansions, people living in the streets, I experienced that too. And yeah, teaching is hard that way. Imagine meeting the individual needs of 30 students opposed to 5! But that is part of the fun, and I know you are doing a fabulous job :D

    ReplyDelete