Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Advent Day 9

Bubble-Chocolate with Pink-Bed Head PJs OR  partydress

With yesterday not bringing much-today is packed. So find some delicious hot drink and a cozy spot to read and soak it all in!

Isaiah 9:6-7, Revelation 19:1-16, 1 Timothy 6:11-16

The passage is Isaiah is one of my favorites!

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.

What a powerful text proclaiming the Messiah! Advent is the season of expectation- and this passage is a wonderful taste of what people were looking for. A mighty conqueror. The King of Kings! I laugh at the fact that none of this leads to the idea of a baby in a manger.

Our ideas are not God's. 

But just because He was a baby doesnt mean he didnt grow up. Look at each statement and think of how Jesus personified them.

Wonderful Couselor- Listens, patience, teaches, comforts

Mighty God- Powerful, withstood temptation

Everlasting Father- knew the big picture, coming again

Prince of Peace- Oh, my favorite. The only bringer of peace in this crazy world

As we look into the passage in Revelation- there is another coming declared. This is the one we are to be waiting for in expectation. Our Savior came to earth- but He's coming again.

This week in English Fellowship, we heard a service talking at the wedding feast (Matthew 22). It's an unusual passage to look at in this time of advent- but in some ways it's perfect.

The "Sarah" paraphrase version goes like this: A rich King was holding a feast for his son's wedding and he invited guests. Lots of them. Then as the time came closer- he followed up with his guests to have them come- and they all found some excuse. So instead of call it a flop- he had his servants go out and invite everyone they saw... and with those people He celebrated.

Now on Sunday we looked at several different characters- but today I want to ponder the guests that were invited, but didnt come. I relate to that. I have been invited to the party (the Jesus party if you want to call it) and I want to come. I have chosen to live the life of a missionary to teach children, and desire to glorify God in what I do. My outside actions and my heart have accepted the invite.

However, I dont live a life ready for the party. I get into routines, I forget to do things like read my Bible, and I get grumpy. I like to think of this laziness as spiritual "PJ's". The comfy clothes that you dont expect people to see you in. Sometimes they are necessary- but God wants and deserves our best "party clothes". Prioritizing time with Him. Serving His church. Serving those not yet in His church. Having an attitude of love.

This advent has reminded me that my relationship with God takes work. Being tired is not an excuse to not spend time with Him. Sometimes I have to leave the "PJ's" at home and pull out my party dress through my energy, my actions, and my interactions with others. It takes work and is not always comfortable but it does bring out the best for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment