Sunday, December 4, 2011

Advent Day 7


Exodus 25

God decorated his temple. Though detailed instructions laid out in this passage, God had his servants create beautiful decorations for the place where He would meet with them.

Holidays are fun because I love to decorate. Even here in Mali, I find the boxes of stuff past residents have left in my house and put them out. It's part of preparation. It's part of the fun.

If I look at the decorations I have- most do not have serious meaning. In Mali, most are fourth-hand and have the undertones of the 1980s. But to me the style is not what is important... its the beauty of anticipation and tradition. Even far from home, I get to "feel" and "see" Christmas.

In my classroom we are doing advent by creating a special ornament each day to represent the names of Jesus. Five days in, our "tree" (butcher paper) is covered and it is only going to keep on filling. I hope that my students get a taste of the miracle that is Jesus this Christmas season- by the symbolic reminders of who his is.

No comments:

Post a Comment