Saturday, December 3, 2011

Advent Day 6

Act 20:35, 1 John 4:10

This is the time of giving and receiving. Shopping is in full swing. Gift lists are being compiled. Crafts are being created. Baked goods are in the oven. And that's just the beginning.

I have to be honest that I am so glad I am not in the USA right now. The pressure to spend money, find the perfect gift and be "overwhelmingly" busy doesnt exist in my Mali world. It could- I could choose it- but instead it's not. I have been learning over the past year how important down time is. I love to stop. Relax. Read. Do a craft. Space out. Bake. Anything that makes my life not busy. And this holiday time is no different.

Today the readings lead us to the concept of "giving". Do we spend more time giving or recieving?

This one is hard for me- because I am not very good at gifts. Some people have that amazing ability to find gifts and their joy is in giving it to others. I love those people. But I am not one of them.

Instead, I give by spending time with people. I love to host dinners for friends, or invite people over to watch a movie. When I am home in the States my time is filled with coffee dates, overnights and just spending time with people. That is how I give.

When I think of the ultimate gift- the "Jesus" gift- I realize that I take it for granted. It is hard for me to be in constant realization of what God did by sending his son. I am grateful for this time to year to stop and have it thrown in my face: Jesus is a gift. I have received it. Now I choose to live a worshipful lifestyle reflecting this gift. Wow. That's a big deal. I think I just have to sit on this for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment